Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Cauliflower Popcorn

I'm just a tad iPad-obsessed, and as a holistic nutrition consultant, I'm always monitoring the app store for new wellness apps. My favorite is Superfood HD, which focuses on simple snack ideas for whole foods, and incorporates an incredible amount of nutrition info for each fruit and veggie. 

My favorite little snack of the moment is cauliflower "popcorn". Grab an entire head of cauliflower. Wash it and cut it up into little florets. Toss it all into a good quality ziplock bag. Trust me... not a cheapo generic brand. I tried that once and POOF!!!!! Cauliflower on my hardwood floor and four happy dogs getting a great dose of vitamins and fiber. Anyhow, with the cauliflower, dump in about three tablespoons of nutritional yeast and grind in some fresh sea salt, along with an optional dash or two of cayenne pepper. Shake shake shake your bootie (and your ziplock bag). Taste test to make sure it doesn't need more salt. Also experiment with some fresh grated pepper. Pour into a popcorn bowl, pop in a movie, and enjoy know ing you're loading up on fiber instead of fat. As a huge popcorn lover, I had to admit that I prefer this to popcorn! Leftovers keep in the fridge for up to a week.

No comments:

Post a Comment