Thursday, February 9, 2012

It Doesn't Really Make Me Sneeze

Of course if it had any real cheese in it, this dish probably would make a lot of people sneeze. Most of us know by now that dairy products cause congestion. I used to be a Kraft mac and cheese addict... and I also used to be addicted to Afrin. 

But my mac and "cheese" is sneeze-free. I make this several times a month, and the included picture is admittedly not from a recent cooking adventure, but rather from when we lived in Lake Norman. However, this recipe stands the test of time, migrating from city to country life.  

I buy Road's End Organics dairy-free shells and chreeze from Healthy Home Market in Davidson. I just don't follow the instructions on the box. Remember, I told everyone in a previous post that following instructions to the T is chef suicide! Instead, I cook the noodles and after they're done, I use 1/3-1/2 tub of vegan cream cheese, chop it up a bit, and dump it in with the warm, drained noodles. Add some almond milk and stir. Once the cream cheese starts melting, add the powder packet included in the mac and cheese box. The powder is mainly nutritional yeast and salt, so if you want to make this without buying the boxed product, just experiment with nutritional yeast powder, salt, and spices on this step. Add a bit more almond milk to keep it all creamy. Taste, and see if you need to add any of your own spices. I often add either some garlic salt (I prefer garlic salt because it cuts back on total sodium to mix in the garlic), dill, or pepper. One box makes the large bowl pictured, and the leftovers are great the next day, warmed up in the microwave. Add some more almond milk to it before reheating to keep it moist. For this recipe, the cream cheese is the trick. Many vegans find mac and cheese recipes to be dry or tasteless. I tried adding cream cheese a year ago, and voila... it stays extremely creamy!

No comments:

Post a Comment